Friday, June 28, 2013

Tilapia, two ways

So, a month ago I made some delicious tilapia with a grape chutney . . . or "fruit sauce", as Nate calls it, since "no one knows what 'chutney' is." I had a college roommate who was a culinary student. I'm pretty sure some people know what chutney is. :)
The recipe that served as my inspiration is from the Better Homes & Gardens website.
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chicken/tilapia-with-grape-chutney/

Ingredients:
4 fillets of sole or tilapia ( I only cooked 3, because I was splitting up a package of six fillets, and am only feeding two. . . or two and a half, as some might say.)
salt
ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cooking oil (I used olive oil, I believe)
1/2 cup tropical fruit bits
1/3 cup sliced green onions (omitted)
1/3 cup apricot fruit spread

Directions:

  1. Thaw fish, if frozen (mine was). Rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. In your skillet heat oil over medium-high heat; add fish. Cook fish for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until it easily flakes when tested with a fork. Chop grapes in half while fish is cooking. [I actually did my fruit chopping before putting the fish in the skillet, because I did not want to feel rushed and have my fish burn! Cooking is always smoother when any prep work is done ahead. It is good to thoroughly read your recipe before starting.] 
  3. Transfer the fish to a plate and keep warm [I threw some foil over it to keep it warm]. Add grapes, fruit bits, fruit spread, and green onions to the skillet. Cook and stir for two minutes. [Some bits of the fish might have stuck to the skillet when cooking, that is ok, it will get mixed in with the chutney and be delicious. Trust me.] Season to taste with salt and pepper. Server sauce over fish, and enjoy. The recipe suggested serving over brown rice, but we just had some spring lettuce mix on the side.

I followed it pretty closely, with a few exceptions when it came to the ingredients. Instead of apricot fruit spread, I used orange marmalade (I already had it on hand). I could not find a bag of tropical fruit tidbits, so I bought some chunks of dried pineapple that I chopped into smaller pieces, and this worked just as well. I also did not use green onions. Not really a big green onion fan, and didn't want to buy some for just one recipe. We did have some cilantro, so I chopped that up to put in my chutney. The picture was taken on Nate's phone, and can't figure out how to get it on, when I do, I will edit to show you the finished product.

The other three fillets had been in my freezer since I had made that dinner a month ago. Every time I would open the freezer door they would remind me they were still there and that I needed to make another fish dinner that was as equally delicious as the last one. I'm not even a big big fish eater, and truth be told, I don't believe Nate is much of a fish fan either. I bought the fish because it was on sale, and fish is good for you. :)
Tonight I made foil-baked tilapia with a lemon-garlic butter. This is what my mom called a "girl scout dinner" when I was describing it to her over the phone. On the back of the fish package it gives instructions for bake or broiling. It says to wrap the fish in foil and heat for 12-15 minutes in an oven preheated between 350 and 400 F. Well, I knew better than to just put fish in foil and heat it up. For someone who isn't big on fish, that didn't sound too appetizing. I know that lemon juice goes well with seafood, so I wondered what I could do with that. Went to handy-dandy Google and found a couple different recipes that I blended together, and added my own twist to.
Foil baked tilapia with lemon-garlic butter
Ingredients:
4 fillets of tilapia (I used 3. 1 and 1/2 in two foil packets)
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon of lemon juice (it could have used another for more of a lemony flavor)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
dashes of salt, pepper, & cayenne pepper [the recipe I looked at called for paprika. One red spice is as good as another, right? ;) ], and a pinch of parsley
a little bit of thinly sliced vegetables (I used bell pepper, onion, and baby carrots that I cut in quarters length-wise. Squash, zucchini, or other such vegetables might work just as well.)

Directions:
In a saucepan combine the garlic, butter, lemon juice, salt, pepper, parsley, and cayenne. Once melted, spread a little bit of butter sauce onto prepared foil [when I say "prepared" I mean "a piece of foil large enough to fit the fish, and be folded over, turned up on the ends, so the butter won't run away"]. After spreading a tiny bit of the butter down, you will then layer the vegetables evenly and place each filet on top of the vegetables. Drizzle the rest of the butter sauce over the fillets and then fold up the foil and put in the oven (preheated to 350 or 375) for 12-15 minutes. Once the fish is in the oven, start on some rice to accompany it. Normally when I make rice it is just water with rice, but the bag does suggest an optional tablespoon of butter. I thought this would taste good with the savory fish. Yup! It did. :D
Before, ready to be folded up and placed in the oven!

After. so beautiful and delicious.


This is dedicated to my dear friend, college roommate, and foodie, Emily Bearden. :)

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention, the fish is supposed to be thawed, rinsed, and patted with the second recipe as well.

    ReplyDelete